Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

COMPUTERS!!! GRRR

P

sneaks, sorry havent read the whole thread, so this may have come up, but havent you got those uni H or Z or U spaces?

My uni announced an increase in storage for PhD students on request. I immeditaely took it upm for I am working on two multi country EU projects, plus my pHD, plus teaching, hence it;s unmanageable. The one is a 21 country thing, another that I just started is a 9 country thing and hnestly i am more scared about data from these going missing rathr than my stuff, which is at least in drafts, in my head in my email etc!

Uni drives are backed up at our uni every night and they can provide deleted copies for up to 3 months. Have done that loads of times....

Otherwise, google is good but I hear it has a limit now....

P

======= Date Modified 04 Sep 2009 20:47:43 =======
Oh and a PS: Joyce is absolutely right in what she says. My sup i see frantically backs up on pen drives, laptops etc all the time..

a lecturer in our dept lost half his life last summer for his data crashed (and he is involved in so many things) and then he didnt have the back up or the back up was outdated as he was busy lately... or even that crahsed...

was a lesson for the entire dpeartment, we hear the story still....

Quote From phdbug:

sneaks, sorry havent read the whole thread, so this may have come up, but havent you got those uni H or Z or U spaces?

My uni announced an increase in storage for PhD students on request. I immeditaely took it upm for I am working on two multi country EU projects, plus my pHD, plus teaching, hence it;s unmanageable. The one is a 21 country thing, another that I just started is a 9 country thing and hnestly i am more scared about data from these going missing rathr than my stuff, which is at least in drafts, in my head in my email etc!

Uni drives are backed up at our uni every night and they can provide deleted copies for up to 3 months. Have done that loads of times....

Otherwise, google is good but I hear it has a limit now....

its my home computer. I don't go in to uni enough to use theirs and our IT bloke told me that the drives are really unsafe i.e. any computing student with half a brain can hack in. He said they were more unsafe than using stuff at home because so many people are linked up to the network - it only takes on link in the chain to break.

P

oh thats a different system then! for our drives are accesible from anywhere in the world, on remote desktop or VPN and the uni absolutely recommends it as not only a safe space but the safest space. Staff research, including huge grants and funded prpjects and personal research is all on there. Our webpages are hosted by these spaces and our emails as well. Also departmental stuff, the uni;s own stuff, everything actually lol!

Flipside: 3 days server maintenance evry other year when everything is off for 3 days. But it's worth it.

K

Using a web based storage client like Humyo (http://www.humyo.com/) is a safe and easy way to save your data. All you do is upload your files onto a server and you can access them whenever and wherever you have an internet connection.

shouldn't the address be https:// to be properly secure?