Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

going crazy with full time job and part time PhD

E

I'm a part-timer too. In my department, they don't even acknowledge the part-timers. When we had our introductory talks, everything was directed toward the full-time students, and someone had to actually remind our head of department that she had part-time students! We end up paying the same tuition fees in the end, but we're not entitled to all the benefits that full-time students get. It's crazy. Sometimes I feel really out of it being part-time. There are only three of us in the department, and I really envy the full-timers for being able to put all of their attention into their studies.

S

eddi, sorry to say that but majority of the full-timers I know are lazy bastards, especially if they have a scholarship, and it really drives me nuts when I see how little they produce and still complain they are soooo tired and have no time for anything, and it's not only Phds but MAs, too. Doh!

E

You're absolutely right. I don't understand why there is such a divide between full and part time. I'm only part-time because I can't afford the tuition fee, not because I care any less. From what I've noticed, there seems to be a stigma attached to studying part-time, like we're not as committed as the others or are doing it half-hearted and only putting in minimal effort. I actually put all of my energy into my PhD (Hence my recent breakdown!). If I wasn't wearing myself into the ground, I seriously doubt I'd be collapsing on uni steps!

S

Exactly!!! I noticed at my college there is absolutely no difference apart from fees, between PT and FT. And I work just as hard if not harder than FTs. The only thing is the feeling of prestige. I spoke to my supervisor and he said it is utterly up to me how quickly i finish writing, it is all about whether I can deliver. So i figured out what's the point paying more and still doing the same. Unless you have a scholarship and u can afford FT then it makes sence.

S

I'm PT (work as well) and I know exactly what you mean when you say there is a stigma attached to studying part-time. There is NO support available for PT students and yet I still feel that I am held to full-time standards. I am constantly criticised for not attending internal seminars/training and external conferences...because these are all on when I'm at work. I try not to be bitter and accept the situation, but it isn't easy when I see people with funding wasting their time (especially as I have better qualifications than them; I'm not eligible for research council funding however so can't apply for financial support). I'm not entitled to all the resources they have - but I pay the fees they ask so why not? To use a cliche, I feel like a second-class citizen. Right, rant over!

B

Hi Solidors

Completely sympathise. I was in the same boat until Christmas - full-time teaching post and part-time PhD (well, really, let's face it we do a full-time PhD even part-time really...). Eventually I cracked, not just because of the juggling but because of the division of passion. I loved research and liked my job but the parts of my job I didn't like began to irritate the life out of me because I was so time-pressured. I 'jumped' on a 6 months notice ticket and eventually found work... part-time at the uni... And now I'm much happier. I work three and a half days a week in a much more flexible environment doing work that dovetails with my research and working with other researchers. Yay! So, I say - go for it - soon as you can. Find something else that fits and makes you smile at least occasionally.

S

bakuvia, thank you! had a lousy day today (apart from being invited to a new association as a member relating to my research, which made my day) and went to the university after work, and i just couldnt bring myself to go for the 2nd lecture. just left home and watched the movie 'touching the void' (Freudian slip describing the state i am in?
i was just staring at the screen, so tired couldnt bother to cook dinner. i am in the process of changing my topic which is daunting on me as well.
getting up at 6.30am to go to work and uni in the evening. i decided to do gardening all weekend, no books, no PhD, and lots of sleep.

S

It is really important to take time off. I find that when you are PT and working you feel such guilt for not spending every second of your 'spare' time on the PhD. First, because you realise you work so hard at your job to finance the PhD (why put in all that effort if you don't spend every second you can on the PhD?). And second, because you realise how precious time is and how little of it you have. I know these sorts of pressures get too much for me; I don't feel like I have any breathing space. And when I do take time out for myself (even just an hour or so reading a book not related to the thesis), I can never really enjoy it because I'm always thinking 'you should be working on the PhD'.