Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Holiday, anyone? [filling to comply with the rules of the forum which require more than three but less than 25 words in the Topic Title

H

Having a break is a must, in my opinion. The further away I manage to be from the UK, the better I feel lol.

L

Its hard and a holiday is often desperately needed.
My supervisor told me I should take time this summer and at Christmas.
Im going away in January to the states but its my third year so im trying to get a lot done by then. Keep me motivated.
I think you should have a holiday.

T

My supervisors are so laid back about holidays and let me take what I want "so long as I can stay on track with the study". I've already been to Tunisia for a week in March and am going on a 3 week trip to Australia this September. I've made conatcts with people in my field out in Sydney though so that I can keep my Supervisors happy by showing networking dedication! I'm doing social research rather than lab work which is a definite bonus in being able to take time off.

P

Is that true that most supervisors don't like you to go on holiday?
I must have quite lenient ones then because they are always telling me to go on holiday and take breaks.
They also get cross with me if i say I have been working weekends, telling me to treat it like a 9-5 job instead. That works most of the time except when I can't get my brain into gear and then the 9-5 goes out the window.

J

I don't if most supervisors dislike students taking holidays: one of mine does (see my previous post), but the others are OK.

The one who disapproves of holidays is actually retired but still comes in 8-5 every day. But he reads the paper from cover to cover, then makes tea, then reads a few emails. So when he tells me that holidays are unnecessary, I take it with a pinch of salt. I wouldn't be bothered about a break if I read the paper all day long, either!