Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

My dairy inspired by Jojo and Lara

L

sorry if i sounded harsh, i just dont want your sup to take advantage of you, you have every right to put your phd thesis as your first and only priority., its perfectly natural to only want to concentrate on your thesis, as you have set your deadline as 31st of august.

L

Thanks Lara, you didnt sound harsh... I am going to keep working on my thesis and focus on what I have so far...if i have some time at the end, will look at the other things....

L

Hmm, a lot has happened since I started this diary which I never really followed up. I had my baby in December 08. Took a whole month off and then continued writing... thank God, finished my lab work in November or at least decided I definately wasnt going back into the lab. So went back to trying to write, my goodness how hard was it. I had my Mother in-law around which helped a little but I still didnt get much done. Anyways two weeks before my 4 year deadline, I go to my supervisor and he is like I think you still need at least 2 months to get this to submission state. Go to the registrar and see if you can get an extension based on pregnancy etc (I didnt take any time off for pregnancy or having baby officially). I did go to the registrar and she was willing to fight and back me, but I had to write a statement and try to pull at 'heart strings' and then there might still be no 100 % guarantee, though very unlikely that I wouldnt be granted the extension. Anyways I was devastated at the whole idea of extending. I was soooooo fed up of seeing the thesis and writing. I went back to my supervisor and we decided that rather than spending one week writing a mitigating letter and collecting evidence (Dr's letters, Birth certificate etc) I should spend that time writing and we see how far I get. Well, thank God for my mum, I called her and she came to our flat and basically took over looking after my 3 month old daughter and me. No joking, I slept on the living room couch for the following 2 weeks. having less than 3 hours sleep each night until I completed got my supervisor's approval and submitted. Thank God for God and my mum. She cooked, fed my daughter (breast feeding had to be reduced, unfortunately, this really upset me but I had no choice).

Anyways, 2 days before good friday, I printed my thesis and submitted... I was sooooooooooooooo relieved.

Just had my viva last friday and I was so worried as I had been out of research for the previous 3 months. During the prep, well the last 2 days whilst panicking I came back to this forum and looked at other threads on viva, I got quite a bit of relief but also some fear of God as one the posters talked about people failing. Anyways, thank God, I have passed with minor corrections.

The viva was tough... I am glad in hindsight now though, at least I kind of feel it was worth it. My external concentrated mainly on my introduction which was my weak point as I spent most time on my results chapter. Oh well.....

So I am glad its all almost over....

Wishing everyone else the very best of luck.... Doing a PhD takes stamina, determination and staying power..... :-)

H

Wow! What a lot to juggle!

Many congratulations on all your achievements. I hope you now get to have a rest!(up)

L

WOW congratulations! you are a complete super woman! well done . you must be so happy! you achieved so much!!! go on and treat yourself! you deserve it(up)