Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD full time or mixed with teaching?

J

gimp + imperial = gimperial :D

P

But what does the term refer to in this context - why are Coastman, H and Adem gimperials?

H

lol piglet. It just means we went to Imperial.

I'm not sure where the term comes from, it was actually after my time. My brother (also a gimperial but after me) kept saying it and thats where I picked it up.

P

Okay. Now I know I am going to seem really thick...but was is Imperial, if you all went there? A school? A gym? A bar? A shopping centre?

H

lol, it's one of the best universities in the country and one of the top science institutes in the world.

Found in London.

H

Interesting fact about Imperial, what is now the old chemistry department was the first part of the university, then known as a chemistry college.

In fact the Queen's Tower, landmark of Imperial contains names of important chemists that studied/researched there.

The purple colour the royal college of science wear at their graduation was discovered there (appparantly).

B

Another interesting fact about Imperial-

Brian May (Guitarist in Queen) quit his PhD at Imperial about 20 years ago to join some rock band but apparently is now, trying to finally submit his thesis!

T

Haha Piglet, so much for Richard Sykes expensive rebranding project, sounds like it obviously worked...

BTW Brian May is also writing an astronomy book with Patrick Moore.

A

Before you realised that Oxbridge is a name for the two old universities what did you think it meant Piglet?

What did you think Imperial was?

P

I thought Oxbridge was some university in the UK I had never heard of. But then the amount you lot talk about it, I figured it had to be pretty important...and then I clicked!

I guessed Imperial must have been a university or a school, but the only Imperial I know is a pub!

A

Where are you from?