Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

September 08 starters - how much have you got done?

D

Quote From phdbug:

Pamplemousse, did you say CHAPTER?

I am getting a heart attack here. I dont have anything like a chapter. I thought its too early to know. :( :(:-(:-(

I am completely with you phdbug... What is your discipline?  Im business and realistically first chapters dont come until the end of first year!

S

i started july 08 and i haven't written anything except my literature review (handed in after 4 months) which was 8000 words. to be honest, i don't feel i have time to write anything at this stage, and i know that if i did write, about 99% of it would be useless as my ideas are changing on a daily basis. that said, i do intend to start writing in the next few months or so, otherwise i am worried i will forget how! comparing yourself to others is always a bad idea as you never seem to have done as much as everyone else (reading this thread has made me panic!) so the best way to gauge progress is definitely in terms of feedback from your sup.

P

Perhaps, the answer for these situations, is a more qualitative approach, though definitely not comparing...

So, perhaps, a more useful approach we could take is to write things like "I have been trying to figure out my approach in the context of X G and T but I still dont think I have quite got my head around Y T I issues"

rather than writing (what I wrote for instance) that I have written x number of words.

Ahhh.sometimes, I do prefer the qual over the quant (depending on what i am trying to achieve)!

(I have epigastritis with erratic eating incidentally and wont be around much on forum as there is killing pressure right now)

M

Hi there

I`ve just finished my revised 6000 word proposal (i`m part time)!