Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Submit thesis with published papers

M

Quote From DrCorinne:

I might have understood your point in the wrong way MeaninginLife, but your comment seems to imply a judgement on piere's work that -unless you know him personally- is out of context here.

My main point is "Do not assume publications imply Pass with minor revisions".
On the contrary, some may feel uncomfortable when you told them that you had 3 papers published.
In a sense, you could be perceived as having high self-esteem or even arrogant.

Indirectly, the message perceived could be "this PhD candidate is more superior than you".
It is also possible that the professors in the viva committee did not have any publication during their viva.

During my viva, one professor said that he knew everything that i had presented. (How can that be! Liar!)
However, his questions were all quite superficial, and i did not feel challenged by his questions at all.

I do take your point, but you shouldn't let your experience at the viva to lead your judgement. Examiners often use these techniques to see if you are capable to defend your argument under pressure.

I agree that there are good researchers/ academics and people who tell tall tales. I can tell you though that there are no more than 5 or 6 top researcher in my field (worldwide), and two of them completed their PhD roughly at the time in which I started mine. I am very proud of what I have achieved, big or small it was beyond my wildest dreams, but I have to recognize that they are at a different level and not only because they published in the top journal (and more than once!) in the course of their studies.

So, while it is normal to compare ourselves to others we should also learn to accept that we are not always going to be at the top. Should we be resentful for this? I think not.

Also, a PhD thesis should be examined on its own merit and definitely not for how the candidate comes across.