Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

The most impressive answer you would have given

S

Are you even doing a PhD then?

S

Or is it at Belford uni?

S

It's a good point and it does the raise the question of the link between having a 1st class degree and suitability of the candidate for research. Whilst their is a high correlation between the two, alot of academics consider the dissertation a better measure of suitability than the ability to do exams well.

Clearly, a first class degree and dissertation is the best combination but then there is the issue of the candidate with the 2:1 degree and 1st class dissertation versus the student with the 2:1 dissertation and 1st class degree. A number of academics I have spoken to (in science anyway) prefer the former over the latter.

Good debate this, keep it going.

G

Just wondering. No deep, dark motive at all. I was intrigued on what your area is [e.g. 'I don't know single ESRC funded student in my discipline that has a first class degree - they all have a 2:1' etc.]. I must be in the wrong area sadly. Every person I chat to doing research in my area [Computing] has a 1st. And I mean EVERY single last bugger. Problem is too they have 1st's from bloody Cambridge and places like that, whereas I went to Lancaster and equally unglamorous institutions.

For the record I'm a mature student myself [40.6 years to be precise].

S

Okay, fair point. I can't comment on how different institutions weight the various course components. At my uni, the dissertation is worth a meagre 15% of the total degree, so quite realistic to hammer the dissertation but get a 2:1 overall. This fate is quite possible for me. I went the extra mile on the dissertation to make it a clear first but in doing so severely compromised my revision time for my finals next week. That said, I enter the exams with a guaranteed minimium 2:1 which is all I need to take up my PhD position in September. To that end, job done. However, I'd like to get a first for me though.