Advice needed on part-time study

D

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate any advice from someone who has studied a Masters part-time. I guess i'm a little worried about striking the right balance between being able to work alongside the masters in order to fund myself (I'm a home owner) but not wanting to take too much on. Is there a ball-park amount of time that one should leave free in order to complete the masters? The course I am interested in offers part-time study for a three-year period. if you have studied part time, how did you find it in terms of being able to fund the rest of your life and how much time did you have juggling the demands of a job and a course?

Many thanks in advance, It's really appreciated :)

R

I did a Master part-time while on Maternity leave as a more or less single mom (have a husband - but he is self employed and works nearly 24/7). It was challenging to say at least and I had more than one nervous breakdown. What I have seen from the students around me, most of them worked 40 hours in the first year and reduced quickly down to 30 or even 20 hours. If you are driven and a hard worker its possible to do the part-time masters - although you will have to live with the impact it has on your social life. For me, the evenings were reserved for learning and you will have to find a way to include work for the master thesis into your life. Thats easier in for example social sciences than molecularbioligy - where chances are high that you have to work in a lab for at least 6 months

A

I did my MSc part time over 2 years. The first year (PgDip) was hard work.. not sure on the total hours. The second year was MSc and is best to plan in the recommended 600 hours required. I easily did that - I probably did closer to 700 hours.

It sounds a lot.. and it is (especially as I moved house... started a new job... had child number 2 in that time) but you just find the time. Get into a groove!

I travel by train every day to work, so did 1 hour reading on that, then every night worked 8.30 - 10.30. Had Saturday off and worked Sunday for a few hours.

Can you do it? Of course you can.. just keep chipping away at it.. remember you'll have a MSc at the end!! PM me if you want anymore advice/details :)