Another Funding Question (Sorry)

H

======= Date Modified 27 40 2009 23:40:43 =======
======= Date Modified 27 39 2009 23:39:57 =======
ahoy

I'm currently in my third year of uni and I'm thinking about staying onfor an extra year. However, the I've run into the nasty little problem offunding.

the way I see it, from the research I've done, there are a few options

1. get a career development loan. this is about 8000, of which just over half would have to cover the course. leaving me 3500 to live on for a year. pretty difficult.

2. get a graduate loan. this is alot more money,but i'll have to start paying it back straight away. which i guess i could do if i put a bit aside and then payed it out of that.

3. not bother. get a job and return to normal society.

now,seeing as I'd actually like to stick around the extra year, I'm leaning towards options 1 and 2, but I know it'll end up getting me into more debt.

I'll also have to subsidise the course by getting a part time job, especially if I go for option one.

So I'm in a bit of a confusing situation and was wondering whether anyone had anyone had any advice or suggestions, anything welcome, or whether they thought it was feasible.

thanks alot

p.s. I've checked into funding from the university and it looks a little scare. I think I've missed the ARHC ones and most of the others aren't really applicable. which is annoying.

edit: sorry for the big block of text, the forum doesn't seem to want to let me space it out.

P

What do you mean when you say third year of uni and you want to stay on? What degree is this? Why do you "want" to stay on? Is it a PhD that isnt quite over in 3 years and thus you NEED more time, or is it...what?

S

Hey!
'Bug, I think the OP is a third year undergrad and would like to do a Masters (well that's what I gleaned!), it wasn't particularly clear, but the advice I'm giving is on that premise. Most people opt for the CDL option. Mainly because a graduate loan requires that you have an income, which you don't. Yes the fuds on a CDL are limited - but during my MA (Politics) everyone had part-time jobs. Depending on your discipline - which you don't state - you will most likely only be in Uni for 8 or so hours a week and so although it is not ideal it is fairly easy to combine this with a part-time job.

H

Sory for not being clear, sleepy's right, I'm a third year looking to do a masters. I'm currently studying english lit and looking to stay on and do either english or creative writing.

but anyway, thanks for the advice, I think it'll have to be a cdl and a part time job.