BSc level essay compared to MSc level?? help!!

F

Hey, im doing an MSc at the moment and we've to do an essay thats worth 12% of the entire MSc..however im still writing an essay like i used to at undegraduate level...what distingishes an BSc level essay compared to a MSc level essay??? i really need to get a good mark for this!!

thanks

Depends on the subject. The biggest difference is usually the level of critical analysis, e.g. "this theory says this, but this person disagreed, but his study was rubbish cos of this, therefore the study is....." etc etc. My marks increased dramatically using signposting more in essays in my MSc.

P

Key areas of change:

1. Expansion in reading
2. Widening of critical insight
3. Correlation of theories and concepts
4. Nebulous to clear vision of the 'field/s' and 'sub field/s'
5. Comparing and contrasting viewpoints
6. Judgment.

4 major heads under which essays are usually judged: Presentation (stylistic and organizational features, structure, staying on topic, referencing) Content (depth and range of reading evidenced in core arguments) Quality (sophistication of arguments) and sometimes creative/innovative thinking (thoughts for future research etc).

Thats what my school has as a policy, and I suspect most schools. A gebuinely good way to begin is to actually write. And to read widely. Also read journal articles: this needs a fine balance between not setting them as goals right from the start but neither imagining 'I'm too young and inexperienced to write anywhere near these'.

Best

F

Thanks for your replies!

S

It is quite difficult to pin down the difference - the main difference between my BA and MA essays was the length of them as we had to provide a great deal of critical analysis for BA in my field. What you find though is that the luxury of the extra word count lends itself to far more critical engagement with the texts and more analysis of the subject area. You need to show that you have read widely, but that your reading is focused and applicable directly to the topic in hand. You also need to show a greater sophistication in your argument to show that you understand the nuances within the debate and ways in which different areas interact. You also need a very good level of presentation and writing.
I think this question is something that every new MA student asks, we plagued out tutors with it - what is different, what is an equivalent mark, if I wrote something that got a 75 at BA what would that translate to at MA etc etc. What we found was that our engagement deepened and our analysis became far more complex through the extended wordcount allowing a much more thorough consideration of the question. It was still only ever scratching the surface, and as such, the answer itself becomes more focused and tighter than at BA.
I'm sorry to be so vague, but its an incredibly difficult question to answer because, looking at the marking criteria for my BA and my MA the requirements are, on paper, much the same. Its just focusing for longer and going deeper than you can with a BA length essay.