Business & Management Masters at Loughborough/Leicester/Exeter/Southampton

F

======= Date Modified 26 23 2010 14:23:16 =======
Hello Everyone,

I am a student from India with an undergraduate degree in business and I intend to do a masters in UK from a reputed university. As of now I have offers from the following universities(Loughborough/Leicester/Exeter/Southampton) and I am having a hard time selecting one from them.

I applied to these universities after considering the Times Good University Rankings 2010 but then I found out that these rankings were mainly targeted for undergraduate students.

So can I select a university based on these rankings? Is a university that’s good for undergraduate business courses equally good for postgraduate business courses?

I’ve got offers from all the four mentioned universities and now I have to make a decision. Which university is the best out for the four?

Any help would be appreciated.

S

Go to Leicester as there's no chance of feeling homesick and we have the better sports teams of the four. Or, if you go to Loughborough, it's not far to get to Leicester. Plus the Midlands is cheaper than the South, and Exeter is a pain to get to.

F

Quote From Slizor:

Go to Leicester as there's no chance of feeling homesick and we have the better sports teams of the four. Or, if you go to Loughborough, it's not far to get to Leicester. Plus the Midlands is cheaper than the South, and Exeter is a pain to get to.

I thought Loughborough was the best for sports. But is Leicester better than Loughborough, Exeter and Southampton when it comes to academics ?

D

I don't really know much about Business and Management but, to be honest, I would put all those universities fairly equal in terms of overall academic quality. Undergraduate and postgraduate courses can vary hugely within the same institution so it isn't a really fair comparison either.

Slizor is right about what the places are like. Exeter is really nice but a long way from anywhere. Southampton is a depressing town and a bit grey (sorry, but it is!). Leicester is nice and has a big south asian population. Loughborough is a bit dull and not a lot to do - I can say that having lived there for a while ;)

In terms of academic quality and living standards, out of the four I would personally choose Leicester.

F

Quote From DanB:

I don't really know much about Business and Management but, to be honest, I would put all those universities fairly equal in terms of overall academic quality. Undergraduate and postgraduate courses can vary hugely within the same institution so it isn't a really fair comparison either.

Slizor is right about what the places are like. Exeter is really nice but a long way from anywhere. Southampton is a depressing town and a bit grey (sorry, but it is!). Leicester is nice and has a big south asian population. Loughborough is a bit dull and not a lot to do - I can say that having lived there for a while ;)

In terms of academic quality and living standards, out of the four I would personally choose Leicester.

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. (up)

I've come across a league table for MSc in Management courses which is published by ft.com. None of the schools that i have mentioned above are anywhere to be seen in the list. So i am debating if i should apply to some of the universities mentioned in MSc in Management table (Cass,Aston,Strathclyde). FT.com being a business news website should have a better idea about which university is better recognized in the job market.

D

I've not seen that list (for the MSc in Management courses) but the list they produce for MBAs is quite well known and well respected so it might be a useful guide. Cass is a VERY good place if you can get it.

F

======= Date Modified 28 Feb 2010 12:47:19 =======

Quote From DanB:

I've not seen that list (for the MSc in Management courses) but the list they produce for MBAs is quite well known and well respected so it might be a useful guide. Cass is a VERY good place if you can get it.

I think I'll even apply to Cass, Aston, Strathclyde & Manchester and see how it goes. And you said that Loughborough was dull, where you referring to the town or the university life ? I've heard that Loughborough University offers the best experience for international students.

D

Quote From fre3ze:

And you said that Loughborough was dull, where you referring to the town or the university life ? I've heard that Loughborough University offers the best experience for international students.

The town itself - the population is about 1/3 students during term time and it becomes very VERY quiet when the students aren't around , but maybe I noticed it more because I lived there but went to a University somewhere else. And it's not a very big place, although some nice places to go around and about.

I can't really comment on the experience of the uni itself as I didn't go there but it's VERY sport dominated.