cambridge finance m phil

U

Hi all,
Finished second year of Mathematics at oxford:
1st year avg 73%
2nd year avg 90%

I've been encouraged to apply for top american maths phd (have some research experience as well) but I don't think I want to do maths for the rest of my life.

I have an internship offer from a top tier BB investment bank for next summer as well....

the problem is that I don't really have anyone outside of the maths research world who can write a reference for me...
do you think I stand a chance for the Cambridge finance mphil?
what about funding?

Thanks!

G

Hi there,

Congratulations on your achievements. I guess you will have a good chance for the mphil in finance at cambridge, since you are from the best university and above all, a good degree (mathematics). Cambridge has alot of scholarships so i presume you will be able to secure one. However, try to apply as early as possible. I will also be applying for the course this year though my profile is not as strong as yours.

BA-Accounting and Finance at University of Liverpool:
1st year average-84%
2nd year average-89% and ranked number one within the course.

I tried to do some economics modules such as statistics, econometrics and mathematical economics to increase my chances. Hopefully we will be in a good chance provided our personal statements and recommendations will look smart. Am not after external funding though.

Goodluck!

C

You will definitely stand a great chance of getting on the Cambridge MPhil. If you're already pulling in 90% grades at Oxford (and have evidence you've already secured an internship in the financial services industry) they'll definitely be interested in you.

With regards to funding... I got a PhD offer from Cambridge so know a bit about this. The application for post-grad courses is a little convoluted and so is finding sources of funding. Typically the colleges all have their own bursaries and scholarships. On top of this, university wide scholarships exist for specific subjects. I think there's a centralised database for you to search through these. Of course, the college funding is only available for those who have been accepted by the college offering the scholarship. They're also awarded on academic merit, but you'll have no problems there I'd imagine.

Go to one of the big colleges as well, like Trinity or St Johns. They have more money to support you.