Cambridge - Real Estate Finance

B

A bit of background first: I have a first class honours from MMU in Sociology (not a great university, but then again given they churn out less first class honours in terms of volume, so an achievement to get the grade from a 'lesser' uni), and then I completed a Masters at the University of Manchester in Town Planning (achieved a Merit, but first class dissertation). Since graduating (in 2011), I worked in marketing for roughly 2 years, then most recently I have been running my own residential lettings business. Career wise, it hasn't gone as expected and clearly doesn't really follow my previous education. Thus I want to change this...

I am considering going back to university to change career directions, and one of the courses I have considered is the MPhil in Real Estate Finance, as I would really like to get into the investment & finance side of property.

I have also considered a course at the University of Manchester (Msc Real Estate Development), which has the potential to offer a scholarship knocking circa. £2,000 off the fees (if I was successful of course!). And there are other potential courses I would consider. However, I would really like to go to such a prestigious university such as Cambridge to raise my career prospects.

Given my academic and professional history stated above, and my age (27 currently, 28 next year) do you think that Cambridge would view my application in a positive light? Any knowledge of their general view with regards to my situation would be appreciated. And also, does anyone know whether I would be applicable for any scholarships which would help financially.

Also, if anyone can comment about the career prospects after completion of this particular course, or post-grad courses from Cambridge in general, and ultimately whether it delivers return-on-investment, would be appreciated! And finally, whether a post-grad qual from Cambridge compared to a post-grad qual from Univeristy of Manchester is really significantly different in terms of career prospects in this area.

Thanks for the help

E

Can anyone help bitteorca?

T

Hey Bitteorca,

Apply for the MPhil at Cambridge, seriously you have nothing to lose. You would be surprised at Masters level how little they actually expect from an applicant, after all you are paying them a hell of a lot for a degree, so they are a lot less fussy than they are at undergraduate level.

With your academic and work history, I am sure you have a chance of being accepted. I know a few people who did that course (recently did a masters at cambridge myself), and you have a better academic record than some of them. Not to mention, it is an awesome university, which will give you a career boost and network that Manchester simply will not give you. Not to mention one amazing year of college life. Also I should mention the people I know who did the course had positive feedback about it and now all have excellent jobs.

A post-graduate from Cambridge has many more significant advantages than a post grad at Manchester, believe me. Many many master's students at Cambridge are older, and like you have decided that they took a wrong turn in their career, this will NOT hold you back!

Please please try applying for Cambridge, it really is worth it. Though I will mention the likelihood of you getting funding is basically impossible for the course you are choosing (finding funding for business/finance related courses is impossible anyway)

Best of luck, and have a good year in Cambridge ;)

T

Hi, bitteorca and twister. I am also interested in applying the Mphil Real Estate Finance of Cambridge and have got some questions about it.

Maybe a bit of my background too: I had my bachelor degree in real estate and a second major in finance, I have a first class honour from a reputable uni in Asia. I had a 1-year internship in a real estate fund company doing asset acquisitions and funds management. Although they give me a return offer, I didn't go back because the exposure there couldn't get me the surveyor qualification and I wanted to try something new. Then, I have gone to a government related organization. After working for a year, I just find out how much I prefer real estate investment to surveying, that's why I would like to adjust my careers path.

And, I have the following questions in mind, hope you can help.
1. My web search shows that most prgrame graduates go to banks. Do they have good opportunities going into the real estate investment or real estate fund?

2. I intend to work in the UK for a couple of years after graduation. Then, I hope to move to other Asian countries because I just love seeing new things in another country. Is it easy for an Asian to find a job in the UK?

3. Because I already have my bachelor degree in real estate bachelor, would a master of finance a better choice? I am not sure as I m not really into the stock/bond market.

4. Last, abt 1-2 year ago, i was given an offer for another mphil course at the department of land economy. I didn't accept it and now apply another program, do you know if I will be given a lower priority? Do I still have good chance to get into the program?

Your help is appreciated :)