Contact with Supervisor

P

======= Date Modified 28 Sep 2009 16:16:57 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
======= Date Modified 27 Sep 2009 13:32:32 =======
Leopardi, one word of advice (which I wish someone had given me):

1. You are soon to enter PhD, where distinctions and grades do not exist. It was a rude shock for me when I entered a phase where the 'top' was undefined and being used to aiming for and getting distinctions forever, it took me a good deal of time to settle down. Pl keep that in mind...

2. You write anything less than a distinction will be a total disaster. As a person who has stood and continues to stand in the exact same place, I should tell you, it is better to nip this feeling at the outset. No, a merit is not a disaster, it does not show in/competency and worse, these ideas get in the way of progress by taking up head space.

Both these bullets come from someone who has consistently faield to abide by any of them, and suffers, doubtless. But I am trying and I think anyone should.

Best,

L

======= Date Modified 28 Sep 2009 16:18:21 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
======= Date Modified 27 Sep 2009 15:34:42 =======

Quote From phdbug:

======= Date Modified 27 Sep 2009 13:32:32 =======
Leopardi, one word of advice (which I wish someone had given me):

1. You are soon to enter PhD, where distinctions and grades do not exist. It was a rude shock for me when I entered a phase where the 'top' was undefined and being used to aiming for and getting distinctions forever, it took me a good deal of time to settle down. Pl keep that in mind...

2. You write anything less than a distinction will be a total disaster. As a person who has stood and continues to stand in the exact same place, I should tell you, it is better to nip this feeling at the outset. No, a merit is not a disaster, it does not show in/competency and worse, these ideas get in the way of progress by taking up head space.

Both these bullets come from someone who has consistently faield to abide by any of them, and suffers, doubtless. But I am trying and I think anyone should.

Best,

I genuinely appreciate your advice - thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply. I am thankful that this is the last piece of work that will be graded (my sanity might well be preserved!). I would have been fretting anyway, but my supervisor's passivity compounded my problems. Given that another academic read my dissertation prior to submission and commended it (I had specifically asked her if it was in line with my usual standards), I should feel a little more relaxed, but she will not be grading it. Then in that panic-induced rush to have committed those mistakes! Ah, I definitely need to relax!