Credit crunched

E

I've just been told that our family income is going to be cut by half (again !) due to the credit crunch. I'm going to talk to the finance department tomorrow at my Uni and see what they suggest but it looks like I won't be able to continue my course. If by some miracle I can cut it down to one module a year just to keep it going, how will it look when I apply for EPSRC funding? I'm sure someone is going to look at and just see it took 5 years to do a masters .'. how long is it going to take me to do a PhD? Anyone else self funding and feeling the crunch or got any good luck news (I could really do with some about now). :-(

H

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. It's definitely worth talking to uni finance as sometimes they have emergency contingency funds for circumstances like this. Also, search online for other sources of postgraduate funding as there are small charitable trusts that can give hardship grants, although these may not be accessible quickly. If you have any kind of personal tutor/supervisor at the uni, also talk to them as they may be able to point you to something. At the very least it helps to keep people informed.

Regarding future applications, I would just mention in a covering letter of any application how finances have contributed to the delay in completion. It will become an increasingly common phenomenon and I don't see why it should be held against you. Alternatively, it might be worth asking a referee to mention it in their reference, as this might sound better, particularly if coupled with comments in support of your academic potential.

S

Hey Ergogirly

That's truly awful news, and the thought of having to leave your course must really hurt. I haven't tried these myself (friends have though!)... your Uni will have - must have - an Access to Learning Fund, which is also open to postgraduates and is there precisely for these circumstances. Alternatively Funds for Women Graduates runs an emergency grant scheme for upto £1500. Both of these are based on financial difficulties, and not knowing your financial position you may not receive anything, but its worth applying.

S

Just to add to the brilliant suggestions given so far- if you add a cover letter explaining that despite the financial problems you still faced up to the challenge and finished the course (however long it takes) I think that given the current economic climate you might even get some respect.

E

======= Date Modified 10 Jun 2009 19:07:21 =======
Thanks everyone - needed the support.

Well I've spoken to the people who organise the hardship fund and they have advised me to apply when the book next opens in October.  Guess that's the best I can do for the moment. Oddly enough as I was talking to them on the phone, I got a call from someone for an interview, which was good news.

It is so worrying though and I have done no work all day.  It was only three weeks ago that I told my supervisor I wanted to go full-time as well. Scary how things can change so quickly - especially seeing as this is the second time this has happened to me this year.  I thought I'd had my quota for bad luck.

Thanks for your help and I will talk to supervisor, when I settle down a little, and see if the damage is fatal or just serious going forward.

Good luck everyone else   (up)

K

======= Date Modified 18 Jun 2009 10:02:01 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Content removed - advertising.

E

Go and crayon over someone else's thread