ESRC 1+3 Dilema

J

Hi,

Im new to the forum and have just started a Masters on an ESRC 1+3 Studentship. I am studying Economics and hoped after my PHD to pursue a career in the government economic service. However, since starting my studentship I have discovered the GES Fast Stream which basically allows me to become a government economist after my masters and go straight into the sector and work my way up.

I am now in a situation where I am considering leaving my 1+3 after my masters? I am certainly not decided on it but its a thought entering my head. I dont want to come out of uni in 4 or 5 years with a PHD and have to start at the bottom again. I am enjoying my masters, however, and would not be able to continue it without the ESRC funding.

Thanks

John

I would only quit the ESRC 1+3 if you are absolutley 100% sure that this GES Fast Stream is definitley what you want to do and you have a guarenteed place on it. ESRC 1+3s are so hard to get I think that most people who have been lucky enough to be awarded one would finish it and then go into the field they want to after that.