final paper problem

N

Hello,

my name's Natalie and I've got a huge problem considering my MA final paper in American Studies. I had few ideas, but they were all turned down by my mentor. I was (in fact still am) interested in American animated TV shows (The Simpsons, Futurama, Family, American Dad, Daria) and how they reflect political and cultural events in the US (current and past), American celebrity cult as well as adolescence culture (esp. GenY and their egoism combined with mild/major dosage of narcissism). I'm not looking for specific topics, that's not the point of this message. What I am looking for are just ideas that could, well, inspire me.

Note: If you consider my message inappropriate, or simply dumb, please keep it to yourself. I am serious about this throwing-ideas-at-me thing and do not need people telling me I am stupid or naive for doing so. I already know how desperate it is.

Thank you,

Natalie

S

No idea if this is what you're looking for (I am a scientist/engineer!) but I've always thought it strange that most of these shows get run on Fox, which is largely conservative and/or republican and yet have very liberal ideas, tend to poke fun at the right and tend to be written by democrats. Are there any more right wing/conservative cartoons (maybe there are but they never reach the UK so I don't know about them) and if not, why not? After all, half the population votes that way.

Sorry if this isn't at all what you're after (if you could let me know a short answer then that'd be good though!).

K

Hi.
Again, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for or just random nonsense from my brain, but I have always found it interesting how these animated series portray women and family life. I have often thought that the Seth wotsisface series, family guy and american dad, both pprtray the daughters of the family as a bit useless and less favoured than the sons, and the mothers in all these shows (as well as the Simpsons are stay at home mums. The family life in all of them always seems dysfunctional, and I know that is the source of a lot of the comedy, but makes me wonder where that comes from.

N

Dear Kikuka and Screamingaddabs,

Thank you so much for your replies!!! Though I have decided to dedicate my work on a different issue, I am more than grateful for your help. The replies you've written have, in fact, did their job :) I hope that in the future I will be able to research them some more, however right now I wish to focus on analysing the development of Generation Y.

Thank you for your time.

Natalie