Funding question?

S

Hi,

I know that most people are under-funded/self funded/CDL but I would really appreciate any help someone could give me. I am applying for PhD's (1+3/4 years) all of which come with specific funding but as a safety net (and to give me more options) I want to apply for some masters, but I also need funding for these. Could anyone tell me which bodies they applied to for funding?
I'll be doing an MSc in genetics, neurology or something similar (I want to do a PhD in clinical applications of stem cells in neurological conditions if anyone is interested!) and I'm guessing I can try the research council, but are there any other avenues people would recommend?

Thanks

Sam

R

Hi, I think you've covered the main sources of masters funding. I did mine part time and self funded by working in paid employment full time in the first year, part time in the second year and took out a CDL to cover the fees in the 2nd year.
Is there a possibility of a scholarship at the unis you're applying to for masters study? My uni offered a limited number of scholarships for selected courses. Perhaps you might be able to find something similar? Otherwise try the relevant research councils/funding bodies for your discipline. Obviously if you choose the 1+3 PhD then the funding issue would be sorted.

Good luck :-)