General Master's advice/ questions

L

Hi All,
I am in a 2 year master's program and have completed a year ( how fast time runs) and kind of wish I knew certain things at the beginning to have gotten a lot more done. anyways i have one more year left and need to catch up...anyways I have some questions regarding master's
1. is it normal to take a long time to figure hings out?e.g. i am supposed to know how to use a particular operating system (Cygwin, which is a Linux simulator). On top of that I need to know how to use another program that can only run on Cygwin or Linux. I need to know how to use these two programs to analyze my data.and i have surfing the internet. So I just want to confirm whether or not that it is normal to take time to figure things out.
2. I also want to confirm that it can take a while to understand the culture of the lab you are doing your Master's in because no two labs will be the same.
3. I want to confirm that you have to interact with other grad students in lab and that you can't do things alone.
4. Please if anyone knows how to use Cygwin or knows someone that knows or resources that know please contact me. Thanks

W

Hi LuluStar,

Think I may be able to confirm some of your queries:

1) Yes. Yes. Good sign that you appear to have figured things out for yourself.

2) Yes, exactly.

3) Of course you do. Ideally things should be egalitarian to a degree.

4) Can't use it, know no-one that does, but probably have a book or two on the subject that I'll personally never get around to reading, so you can. PM me to discuss this matter further.

Thanks.

Q

======= Date Modified 18 Jul 2012 09:49:24 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by Postgrad Forum team - spam*