Grade equivalent to degree classification

S

======= Date Modified 18 Nov 2010 19:13:12 =======
Hi,
Could someone tell me what grades (A, B, B-, B+, etc) are in terms of pass, merit and distinction?
Thanks.

F

Hi Shells,

The meaning of letter grades cha change university to univsrsity. But, I've found that usually
A+ = 90-100%
A = 80-90% = High Distinction
B = 70-80% = Distinction
C = 60-70% = Credit
P = 50% = Pass

Hope this helps.

S

Thanks. I got a B- in certain assignments. What would that be?

F

My guess is that a B- would be something between 75-80%. But you should check with your university, as they can vary.

S

I really disagree with the advice being offered here. The degree classification equivalent will depend on the alphabetic grading scheme in operation at the particular university. A B- is certainly not distinction standard, I'm not even sure that a B+ is (depends on your subject too.) Give us a bit more info, although its doubtful that anyone can properly convert them.

S

Usually my university does not grade assignments in this way (percentages are usually used). In the past couple of weeks this method is being used. It's a quantitative degree.

J

At the university I work in, the one where I did my MA, and the university I did my MSc in (and am now doing my PhD) distinctions are A (over 70), merits B (over 60) and pass is everything else. You need to be careful about making comparisons across univerisities (in particular across countries) as in some place marks in the 80+ range are the norm whereas in other places it is almost impossible to get anything higher than a 75 (this is based on my experience of teaching international exchange students - Erasmus and others) who are devastated when they get a mark of 75 becuase in their country that is a very low mark whereas in teh UK it is an A and a good mark. Fortunately for them when grades are transferred into international credits it is the letter that translates so they get their A which then translates to something like 90 at home.

Your university shoudl have guidelines in their regulations which can tell you what the marks mean there.