Grading/Mission creep at Masters level?

A

Hi Folks

When I did my MSc - 20 years ago, there was just pass/fail, no other options. Now I understand there is pass/merit/distinction grading at Masters Level - for some universities anyway. I hear this trend may be going further, into the same grading as for first degrees, with firsts, 2.1, 2.2 etc available. Is this correct? If so, it's got to be an example of grading/mission creep!

Angelette 8-)

D

These rumours have persisted for years and years - I'd take it with a heavy pinch of salt!

H

My MSc was 'pass' or 'distinction'. But as less than 10% of a very bright group of people got a distinction, I wasn't too upset at not getting one. And it didn't hurt my PhD application.

A

Thanks for this folks.  It's as well to know what they may be thinking of next!

Angelette

B

My older sister got a distinction in her MA degree in 1988 and it wasn't new then (according to her anyway). Haven't heard anything about them changing to undergrad grading - given they're very keen to find ways of scrapping the undergrad system as it's no longer viewed by most academics as fit for purpose, I can't see why they'd introduce it to masters.