I going to climb a mountain!

M

At 52, I am about to start my long delayed MA. I graduated 30 years ago and since then 'life' got in the way, marriage, 5 children, elderly parents...

Now it is 'my time' and instead of waving my children off to university, they will be waving me off, as I move away from home to live on campus. Not quite sure if I am brave or insane, I am definitely full of trepidation. I wonder if I will cope, adjust, manage to meet the demands of academia, will I be taken seriously by other post-grads, will I be seen as everyone's granny - get the picture?

I am sure I will be on a sharp learning curve, so wonder if anyone has words of wisdom, to help me through the early days?

S

hi Maimhambo
welcome to the forum! and welcome to your new adventure!
Have a wonderful start!!!!

Don't worry, nobody will see you as their granny.
You might even meet other students who are older than you.
52 is not old.
100 years old, now that's old.

Just take a deep breath, smile, hug yourself and go all out and get your MA!!!!!

this looks like something you want to do for yourself, why not, just go for it
you'll be fine

love satchi

B

Age shouldn't be an issue. There were lots of older students taking the Masters course that I did, and all got on well with the younger students, and everyone was on an even-footing.

Then again most people didn't have to stay on campus. I studied at the large university in the city where I live, and some of the students were part-time, often juggling study alongside work.

But don't worry about fitting in. And have a great time!

D

I wouldn't worry too much about age difference as there are a lot of students returning for a masters at a later stage of their lives.

I would mostly worry about the residence! Insist they don't mix you with some 18-year old undergraduates in the same flat, as they party hard all night long making so much noise you can only catch a few hours of interrupted sleep, they also explode eggs in the microwave and never clean the evidence, and they set wet newspaper fights or shaving foam fights i the corridor....(cleaning ladies stare at you in despare in the morning)

Good luck and enjoy the experience!

M

Thanks for the supportive comments, I think I suffer from the human frailty of self doubt and the ability to talk myself out of anything. So your words have made a difference.

As for living on campus, I made sure I avoided shared accommodation and have opted for a small studio flat - own bathroom and kitchenette. Not the cheapest option, but given the example of my 5 offspring who forgot their 'house training' once at university, it seemed the sane thing to do

A

Hi Maimhambo

I envy your ability to immerse yourself in campus life: I went back to do an MA at 38, with 2 kids under the age of 10, plus a 1 yr old, so leaving home wasn't an option for me Still, it all worked out, and it was such an amazing experience, that I'm about to start a fully funded PhD. Have a great time, - you may find that your greater life experience is a huge asset.