Inductive or Deductive thematic analysis?

C

I'm analysing my data for a qualitative piece of research (masters) using thematic analysis. I understand the difference between inductive and deductive analysis but am a little confused about which method I will be using (it may be both?) I am analysing interviews looking for 'biological' type references teachers have made to childrens behaviour. But also want to explore data to see what other patterns there may be. As I have not make a stance about any epistemological position (I prefer to take the pragmatic approach) this does not seem to fit with most guidance which explains using one or the other. Is it possible to use both inductive and deductive on the same data? Any clarity on this issue will be much appreciated.

K

I was in the same situation with my qualitative research: I had an idea of the broad themes I was looking for in the data but was also open to the emergence of new themes. I think it's a common approach although there is less written about it. Have a look at abductive analysis, it might be what you're doing.