Is MSc Development Studies course better at SOAS or IDS Sussex

A

Hi,

I hold a Masters degree in Sociology from Delhi University, India and been working with NGOs and United Nations for the last 5 years.

I had applied for the MSc Development Studies course and have an offer from both SOAS and IDS Sussex. I am confused which of the two institutions would be better with reference to the quality of education and placements as I intend to come back to India and work after completing the course.

I would be glad to get some advice from this group.

Thanks!

A

Hi Ahandoo,

I am not from your field but I can say that SOAS is University of London so you can go for it if you want that to be on your CV however, London is a expensive city when compared to Sussex and considering that IDS is also ranked high and reputed. So, it also depends on affordability and costs and overall ranking of the two are the almost the same. So, go with your gut feelings. Good Luck!

AJ

A

Thanks AJ!

I am more inclined for SOAS but have my concerns regarding placements and job opportunities after my return and some extent regarding the university rankings, though I know that both are highly reputed.

Thanks anyway, once again.

B

I have heard that the course at Sussex is very well respected by practitioners. I would ask the departments for information on employment prospects and whether they could put you in touch with any Indian alumni who could tell you how it worked for them. It might also be worth looking at the staff list to see whether there's any evidence of people with Indian experience, as I would think given your aims, that it would be very helpful to have someone like that around to supervise your dissertation for instance or for contacts for your job search.