making up fieldwork

B

I think want to know if I have no actual data and findings are all made up. what will supervisor think and university do if they know? Is pretty bad because i am found out? thank you

Quote From badstudent:
I think want to know if I have no actual data and findings are all made up. what will supervisor think and university do if they know? Is pretty bad because i am found out? thank you

I have no idea why you are asking this question? Why have you made up the data?

Either you have had problems with data collection or you have not bothered to collect the data. In either case, you need to talk to your supervisors now, as without any data you have no degree (PhD, Masters, whatever).

If you're asking people on here to condone fraud, that is not going to happen. Either get the data collection done or have the good grace to withdraw from your degree. If the above has arisen due to you having problems, then discussing with your supervisor may yet remedy the situation.

I would like to say that instances of outright data fraud are caught and documents resulting never see the light of day. However, I know of a good number of instances where unfortunately people have got away with it.

At best, what you are doing is dishonest and depending on the work you are doing, incorrect data could endanger people's lives. It is better you produce no data at all rather produce the set of made-up data you propose.

Also, how are you going to live with yourself, knowing you have lied to dishonestly gain a qualification?

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

D

Hi,

Do you actually have "no research data"? As in, you've not been to your field site, you've not spoke to people? If so, there is a chance that you will get caught and I would not advise making up data.

Or, do you mean that you do not have the research data you want? If so, all is not lost. Perhaps you could write about the methodological problems? Besides, some people get a PhD out of a very small amount of empirical information. If you have even the slightest information, this might be of interest to you: http://sociologicalimagination.org/archives/13745