Masters in France

N

I'm hoping to do a Masters in France once I finish my degree, does anyone have any information about fees for international students (I'm from the UK), admissions, etc?

N

Hi :)

What's your subject? I reckon it can vary quite a bit according to that as French unis do not offer as many courses as the ones in the UK.

I expect fees vary according to the Universities and courses but it usually is cheap. I used to pay around 400 euros per year, including Sécurité Sociale costs (NHS). As an EU citizen, you should pay home fees. But you'll have to pay them twice (once each year) as all Masters should run over two years now.

Entry may be quite difficult in some Universities, depending also on your course and on your qualifications in French. Do you have a specific University in mind?

N

Thanks a lot for your reply :)

I want to do French Literature, preferably at Paris IV but I don't know how competitive it is. I'm doing MA Hons French at Edinburgh just now, I can't find much info on admissions for people with UK degrees though... Do you mind me asking where you went/what course you did?

N

I went to Le Mans, which is somewhat close to where my parents live, and read English.

Personally, I would never recommend Paris! The course are good, but hard to get into. Plus, I am not sure about the fees but the cost of life is MUCH higher than anywhere else (x2 for the rent and transport).

Because I am originally from the "Grand Ouest", I never really looked at unis in the south or east of the country, but as far as "my" part of the country is concerned, I would advise you also consider Rennes and Nantes. They are lovely cities, quite big, with a great cultural life, and the Universities have really good reputations.

N

Otherwise, I reckon any Uni in France will offer MAs in French anyway, so you really have a choice and could actually apply for tons of them.

I am not sure about entry requirements in your case though. Are you a native speaker of French also by any chance? I am fairly confident that shouldn't be a problem though - I actually did the exact opposite thing: got my degree in France, my "maitrise" as an ERASMUS student in the UK, and then my MA in English Lit in the UK too. I got in without any problem, but I also had a referee from a UK university, which probably helped.

N

If I were you, I'd e-mail four or five universities and ask about fees and entry requirements.

It will probably take most of them ages to reply, so there's nothing wrong at all with doing it now :)

N

Hey :)

English is my first language, I wouldn't say I'm bilingual but my French is pretty much fluent, I did Erasmus in Tours studying L3 Lettres Modernes and I had no problems with the coursework. I suppose taking the TEF before I apply would be a good idea, too.

I don't want to go back to Tours (it's lovely but way too small for my liking) but I do really like that area so I'll have a look at Nantes and Rennes...how did you like Le Mans? I think I'll take your advice and email a few places for details

Thanks so much, you've been such a good help! x

N

Hi there,

You're welcome :)

I loved Le Mans. But it is fairly small too, at the end of the day, so it may not be your best option - unless you want to be very close to Paris at all times (-only one hour by train), or are the biggest fan of Formula 1 ...