Merits or otherwise of teaching

O

Hi all
Am halfway through a part-time MSc. Intend to do PhD and am doing OK with an A in one module and a B in the other. Wanting to really pull out the stops next year so hoping to aim for As in the remaining modules and project.

This summer I hope to nail down a method for my dissertation and start some serious reading for that and other modules so that I hit the ground running in October. I'm currently working 4 days a week in an unrelated boring job, and that'll go down to 2-3 days a week during termtime.

My question: I've seen an ad for some casual teaching work of pre-degree students at a local university - I appear to have the minimum requirements to apply. On one hand it's good to get some teaching experience as an academic career appeals - but on the other I worry that preparing lessons, etc. would stop me focusing enough on my own research and studies next year.

I know that this is just a tiny version of the tension twixt teaching and research that all academics encounter. Is it best to walk right into it now, or should I ignore the opportunity, continue with my boring but easy job and just put all my energies into the all-important second year of the MSc?

Your opinions are solicited :-) (up)

B

My gut feeling is not to apply, as such roles tend to be MUCH more time-consuming than is reflected in the hours they pay you for, particularly if you are not an experienced teacher. The other consideration is the PhD applications. Depending on your subject and whether or not you want to apply for a funded PhD, then applications for funding can take up a surprising amount of time, and obviously, you want to get excellent marks in the MSc to maximise your chances. So I think it might be a little risky.

M

The flip side of Bewildered's reply is that it seems plausible that if it came down to a tie breaker between you and an equally qualified student for PhD funding, teaching experience might just swing it. (How true that is and how much it matters, though, will obviously depend on the level of competition for funding, whether the institution you're applying to is bothered about teaching experience, etc.)

Anyway, from what you say it's not just about the teaching/MSc balance - it's about the teaching/MSc/'unrelated boring job' balance. If you're planning to work 2-3 days in term time anyway, why not aim for to 2 days 'boring job' and 1 day's teaching, say?

K

Personally, I would concentrate on your MSc- it sounds like you are within reach of a distinction, and this will definitely add weight to your PhD application. You will most likely have the opportunity to do some teaching whilst you do your PhD- for many PhD students this is the first teaching they have ever done, and it is unlikely that you will be expected to have prior experience of teaching to get onto your PhD. Not to say it wouldn't be helpful, but I doubt it would sway a decision on your PhD application that much- the main thing will be your grades, your proposal, and your references. I wouldn't take the risk of lowering your grades by devoting too much time to your job, but that's just me! KB

O

Thanks - thoughtful comments as I've come to expect from this site.

Despite being halfway through the application I too am starting to have doubts. I should have said before - the teaching itself would only amount to two hours 'face time' per week. However, as I recall from having taught English as a Foreign Language, if you are at all conscientious AND a beginner then the prep time amounts to about 10 times that .

:p

I tend to be a borderline Distinction kind of student in my past experience. Able to get As with extreme hard work but am prone to slipping down if under time pressure by making silly mistakes. Maybe I don't need this teaching challenge just yet.

Hmmmm, am seeing my tutor tomorrow - will ask his advice. 8-)