MSc Project Mark

B

Hey guys, I'm doing the MSc part of a 1+3 programme and we've just had the marks back from a group project. I got 66 which I was initially pleased with. However, it seems that most people on the course have done better than me, so |I feel really disaapointed now. The project is only worth about 5% of the course, but Im can't help but feel down about it now. I feel like I'm the only one with 1+3 funding, so I should be doing better. Am I just being stupid about this? :-(

P

Hiya!

I really wouldnt worry about it. I got low marks in my group projects (each worth 5%-I wonder if you are doing the same MSc as the one I've just finished!) something like 62 and 63. I managed to get an overall average of 65/66. Ok not the best marks in the world-and pretty average.

You should be able to make it up in the final project/dissertation, which is worth substaintaly more than 5%. Some people failed some of the modules (less than 50), got low marks on their group projects, but still managed to get overall averages of 68/69.

Im sure you will be fine! I wish I had the luxury of 1_+3 funding. I would have loved to stay at UCL. I had to pay for my MSc and spent ages searching for a PhD +3 funded position elsewhere (which i got!).

A

It's only natural and we all do it but it's never good to compare yourself to other people in this way. There will always be people who've done better which will make you feel crap about yourself and there will be people who've done worse, which will make you feel superior (ok, that feels better but it's not good to gloat! ;o).

D

Bobby,
know how you feel, I recently got 72 in a presentation which i was over the moon with. The next week 2 coursemates done their work in a day and got a better mark than me (id spent about a fortnight on mine).
1st semester I had 2 maths exams and got 48% and 45% for them- bottom in the class, I almost cried. I made it up by getting top mark in final exam and ending the module with an 80% average.
Dont worry mate, if you keep workin hard it pays off.
Dannyboy

V

What's the funding got to do with your mark? If you're unsure on how you achieved your mark ask your lecturer.