No funding - should i defer?

L

Hi,

I've got a place on the MSc Evolutionary Ecology and Behaviour at Exeter Uni, but i havent managed to get any funding (course fees are 6,500).

I graduated in 2004 and have been wanting to go back for the last couple of years (various things have got in the way) so i'm really reluctant to defer my place and put off going back to uni for another year.

I've saved enough to be able to live for a year but with the course fees on top i'm not sure what to do - wasn't expecting them to be this high!. Have considered a Career development loan but i'm a bit worried i wont be about to pay it back at the end - i'll basically be spending my entire savings!

So i guess my questions are -
Have any of you been in this position and am i being stupid by going this year?
How likely am i to get funding next year if i defer?
Do most masters students just bite the bullet?

Help! Thank you :-)

Getting funding for a one-year masters is very difficult and if you defer there is no guarentee that the university will have funding for the course next year.

If you can afford it this year I would go ahead and do the masters this year rather than hanging around for funding that may never come along.

S

I agree - either do it now or wait until you can save the fees as well. Funding for masters is about as common as hens' teeth. If you can get part-time work, perhaps you could look into a part-time option - but I recommend going full-time if you can.