No hope left :(

N

Hi all,

dont know if anyone can remember my thread about being bullid out of my PhD and my decision to take am MPhil instead. Anyway I dont think Ill even get this :( I have basically lost all will to do the thesis because I submitted it for checking when I left in September. The week before my submission date my tutor got back to me and said it wouldnt pass because of the format and my results (even though he told me i had plenty before I left). I got a little angry about the fact taht I emailed him every day to ask if he had my thesis back and he basically ignored me. He said an extention wouldnt be a problem but I wanted this done and dusted for dec 1st (my original submission date). I dont trust him to check it, as he asked someone else to check it who told me it was nearly there so she must have lied to me.

sorry for the garbled rant but I have done everything I can. I have asked the uni for help and my personal tutor who basically said nothing can be done without him checkng my work. I dont know wether to give up now or carry on and still not get anything.

G

T

Hi,

Wow, sound like you've had a tough time and your supervisor definalty isnt helping!

Ok, firstly the person who checked your thesis instead of your supervisor may not have lied but may simply have had a different opinion of your work to your supervisor. It might be an idea to speak to your supervisor (though i can see why this idea might not sounds great) and see what he thinks is wrong with it, because frankly if he gets someone else to check it then disagrees with the outcome he should really check it himself.

Do you know who the academic/research student administrator is for your department/school? it might be worth finding them and speaking to them as they can be really helpful and are quite well informed in how to handle problem supervisors.

Alternativly you could go and speak to someone in your students union, as they should have someone there who can advise you.

I hope this has helped, and i hope everything works out for you.
Try to keep your chin-up, things will get better

:-)

J

your supervisor will have someone who oversees his/her work, so find out who this is and tell them what is going on. The administrator to your postgrad faculty is the one to go to, they will have all the info you need. They are the ones who can get the necessary action in place. I would either phone or go and see them. I would avoid sending e-mails, just in case someone inadvertently forwards what you have written to someone who you would rather did not see it. Don't give up, these things happen, I'm in contact with our admin person about my supervisors at the moment and I know they will be on the case. You can get through this. supervisors can be relieved of their duties if they are not doing their job, remember they are being paid to do the supervision and have a duty to do it to the best of their ability, not just regard it as something they can do or not do as it suits.  Go for it!