Oxbridge Jobs

M

Hi,

I have a good master's degree but limited experience, so I'm looking for an entry-level postion. During my search I have noticed a high number of vacancies at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, and they often seem to have relatively basic or broad selection criteria compared with jobs at other institutions. Obviously I have been applying to jobs for which I meet the selection criteria, and so when I see these jobs I apply.

My question is basically, are Oxford and Cambridge as competitive to get into from an employment perspective as they are from a student's perspective compared with other universities?

They are clearly both highly prestigious, and therefore I assume they receive some very good candidates. But having said that, they also both have very large research infrastructures and relatively small local populations which may reduce competition for lower-level posts.

Are they listing relatively non-restrictive criteria because they need to attract more applicants, or are they just not bothered about the criteria because they know they will get the best people anyway?

Thank you for any advice, I don't want to miss out on any opportunities, but at the same time I don't want to waste my time applying for positions I have no chance for when i could be applying to others instead.

E

Does anyone have any advice for Malik?