philosophy MA (jobs)

F

Hi, I am considering doing a masters in Philosophy and was wondering if any one else is studying for it now or plans to? If so what do you hope to achieve by the end of it, for e.g. will it help you get a certain job?

I really love philosophy and i want to continue studying it. I'm just worried that if I don't get funding for my Phd, what other doors will be open for me with a masters degree in Philosophy.

Thanks

Fay

M

Hi Fay

Nice to hear from a fellow philosopher!

Let me put my practical hat on first:

I don't know what employers' perceptions of a Philosophy MA are, but I suspect they'd generally recognize the value of the sort of skills required to get one. I worked in marketing for many years after getting my English and Philosophy BA, and it was always my 'analytical skills', 'lateral approach to problem-solving', 'willingness to challenge assumptions' etc. etc. that would get singled out for praise at performance reviews. (My 'annoying tendency to question everything and split hairs over details nobody else considers relevant' may not have gone down so well though!)

Anyway, I don't think people with Philosophy MAs have significantly more trouble finding work than anyone else. So unless there's some job you've got your heart set on that you'd be more likely to get with a more 'targeted' (vocational?) qualification under your belt, I wouldn't worry too much.

OK, time to take my practical hat off and put my personal-bias hat on. Ready?

JUST DO IT! Did I mention the ten long years I spent working in marketing after finishing my nice, sensible, something-to-fall-back-on English with Philosophy BA? Well guess what - it was rubbish. I ended up going back to do a Philosophy MA in my 30s, and now I'm about to start a funded PhD. (Yes, it IS possible to get funding for a Philosophy PhD - though you'll probably need a solid Distinction.)

Really, nothing could be more absurd than worrying about what some corporate little Hitler is going to think about you studying a subject you love ('Hmm... how can a philosopher help me design/sell/repair cars/socks/spray tanning systems?'). Sod 'em. If you have to go crawling to The Man one day for financial reasons, fine - you can prove you've got a brain and he needs brains to feed on. Till then, do what you want to do for as long as you can.

Rant over - best of luck!

O

Hi Fay

I second what Magictime has to say:

Quote From magictime:

Really, nothing could be more absurd than worrying about what some corporate little Hitler is going to think about you studying a subject you love ('Hmm... how can a philosopher help me design/sell/repair cars/socks/spray tanning systems?'). Sod 'em. If you have to go crawling to The Man one day for financial reasons, fine - you can prove you've got a brain and he needs brains to feed on. Till then, do what you want to do for as long as you can.

I too spent time in the real world in my 20s and am only now in my 30s pursuing academic stuff, where my heart really always was. Wish I had done it long ago.

It could be a slight tangent for you, but some people with philosophy backgrounds are involved in philosophical counselling (e.g. http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5914/ OR http://www.practicalphilosophy.org.uk/philcoun.html) which is a different, non-psychological twist on helping people with their problems. You'd probably have to be quite driven to make a go of it as a philosophical counsellor, but I think it's quite an interesting field (and I'm a psychologist!)

(up)

F

Thanks sooo much! I no longer have any doubts! Philosophy MA here I come!