Please tell me how to read more quickly and efficiently!

N

I've just started my MSc straight from my UG degree, and although I read a lot at UG level I've found myself both being required to and wanting to read a lot more at Masters level - we have a set reading list then a lot of extra suggested reading, also I'm in the process of applying for PhD supervision and funding and so I'm reading around my proposed topic area to come up with a proposal as well. With a part time job as well, time is quite tight so now I'm focusing on working more efficiently to make the most of my working hours.

I've found that I'm reading really slowly though, like an average-length paper/journal article takes me about 1.5 hours. I'm in the social sciences so I read a variety of different things, some complex theoretical papers and some research reports, they're all qualitative though so quite long. I tend to flick through first, reading subheadings etc to get a gist of what the articles about, then read it properly making little notes in the margin, underlining key points etc. Then if something is especially interesting or I need to remember something I make extra brief notes.

If anyone has any advice for reading more quickly and/or efficiently I'd be really grateful to hear it as I have a growing pile of work and I'm so worried about getting behind with it all, especially around deadlines. Also I need to get into better habits now for the future, I think I'm still getting used to Masters level work but I still think I need to speed up! Natassia x

T

======= Date Modified 05 Nov 2009 21:46:03 =======
Hi Natassia

I think it is something that comes naturally with time, and you're definitely quicker once you know what you want from a paper. Your basic process sounds good and it's natural to be slower while you get used to academic reading, so don't worry too much. At the start of a project you take notes on every aspect that's new, after a while you pick out only what you'll need and it will go a lot quicker. Aside from that, one odd but useful tip my old tutor gave me was to skim by last lines instead of headings, ie - read only the last sentence of each paragraph. In well written papers it can give you a basic feel before you decide whether to dive into the detail. Sounds strange but it can work.

D

Hi,

While I know that this is subject-specific to some extent - I always find it really useful to read the bibliography first. It tends to gives a broad map of the field. Its also quite interesting to see what sorts of cliques there are e.g. Who always cites whose paper's.

I also find it useful to check on Google Scholar who has cited the paper I'm reading - That way it is possible to see how others have read it.

A

Hi Natassia,
Don't get panic. It a normal thing. You will learn about it through the time. Just refer to your references from your references to broaden your reading about your research.

urgh- I never read anything all the way through. I know its different for MSc - in that you HAVE to read certain papers. But generally I tend to skim read the abstract, then if it is of interest, then skim the intro, then the discussion. If I really want to use the paper I will look in more detail. I rarely read results unless I am VERY interested in the paper, and I only read a method in order to critique the paper or replicate the method.

Sounds like you are getting a bit too bogged down in reading. How about just writing a few notes about the intro, method, results and discussion and then some overall critical points. then move on!

N

Thanks for the replies - I think I probably am getting a bit bogged down but some of the theory is quite difficult to understand and demands some re-reading, but this is gradually becoming much easier. I need to 'let go' of things more easily as well, and have more confidence when I understand something that I'm not missing the point, if that makes sense.

Teek - I tried that technique of reading the last lines of paragraphs, in papers that I knew were well-written, and it worked! I still read the whole paragraph, but it seemed easier after reading the last lines.

J

My uni put on a speed reading course for us. Its a good technique, but is easier taught than read about, it took less than two hours to learn the basics, so perhaps you could persuade your uni to do the same for you?