Presentations

B

Do MSc courses usually ask you to do a lot of presentations? I hope not, haha.
If so, how are you guys/gals with giving presentations? Any tips on how to get over presentation nerves?
I'm really shy when it comes to public speaking. To be honest, the latter actually makes me feel quite sick, gives me a racing heart beat, and sweaty palms, they really make my life a misery, which is ashame, because I am extremely bright and would excel in all my course work if presentations were not a part of it. God damn them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are a few tips gained from personal experience:

1. If you are short sighted don't wear you glasses, that way you won't be aware of anyone looking at you.
2. Feel from you stomach/heart what you are expressing and speak from that place.
3. Pitch your voice loud enugh for people at the back to hear you.
4. Make eye contact, even if you are reading from notes, look up now and again and 'speak to the people'. If you've followed tip 1, then just look into the crowd and pretend you are looking into their eyes.
5. If it's a public presentation or lecture start by saying hello/good morning/afternoon/evening and smile at them; end by saying thank you.
6. Remember how wonderful you are, and how much pleasure they'll get from listening to the sound of you voice.

N

I know I have to do a few (first one in Jan) for my MSc this year, I did quite a few for my BA but not on my own - we did them in a group but got individual marks for them so was a bit less daunting. I'm nervous but I think it will help that I'll only have to present in front of 6 people max, and we'll all know each other a bit better by then so I think it'll be a nice, supportive group.
Depending on how long you have to prepare for your presentations, I think a good starting point is to speak in your seminars when you have something to say so you get used to articulating your views in front of your class with confidence. Also, this might sound obvious but practice your presentation as much as you can, time yourself as well so you feel confident about how long it is and the different stages of the presentation, that way you're less likely to rush yourself through it and end up talking too quickly. Also, practice in front of a mirror (feels a bit strange at first) so you aren't so worried about having others look at you, as you know how you look when standing up talking. You will also be able to improve your posture etc by looking at yourself.
Hope I've helped - good luck and try to enjoy it!! Natassia x

L

Im very nervous when it comes to presentations. To be honest im less nervous when im doing one than during the time leading up to it. I attended a class on presenting. We were told that we should warm up before giving a presentation(releases all the nervous energy :-) ). From my own personal experience the only real advice I can give is;
1. Practise Practise Practise, even stand in front of a mirror in your bedroom, ask your friends to listen to you(even if they dont know what you're talking about the experience of talking in front of people helps) and time yourself.
2. When giving a presentation try to make some eye contact with the audience.
3. Try and reduce your caffeine intake(if you're a tea/coffee drinker that is!! ) .
Try not to worry so much about presenting, it gets easier everytime you do it(Believe me, this is coming from someone who was so shy at school they got embarassed answering questions they got asked-even though they knew the answer).
Hope my advice is useful to you!
Good Luck!
:-)