Quick advice needed please - what should I say to the professor of my potential MSc course tomorrow?

N

I have a meeting tomorrow to find out a bit more about the course I have applied for, at the university where I have just completed my undergraduate degree. The course I want to do is only available in 2 places in the UK, Birkbeck and Brighton. Unfortunately and rather surprisingly, Birkbeck rejected me. Therefore, I decided to apply to Brighton, I didn't apply before as I wanted the change of scenery and everything was really positive with Birkbeck until I got rejected, also tutors told me just to apply for the course I really wanted to do. Now I feel so so foolish for not applying to Brighton in the first place, with hindsight the course is actually much better for me and I'm not so concerned about having a change now. I have always loved it at Brighton and the familiarity is there which would make the transition easier for me.

So tomorrow I have a meeting with the professor at Brighton, he validated the course at Birkbeck so obviously knows both of the courses very well. He probably won't tell me much more than I already know about the course, but I thought it would be good to register my interest in person, like at an open evening for example, before the interview (if I get one). I don't want him to just see me as a 'Birkbeck reject' that he would never consider having on his course, I don't want him to think I see his course as second best. Of course it appears to be, but I think and hope this is an example of a second choice working out much better, and I so want to do this course. I have the grades and think I have a fairly strong application, however he will be the judge of that.

So what can I say tomorrow to give the best impression possible? This is my last chance and I so want it to work out, my confidence (that I didn't have much of initially) took a real knock when Birkbeck rejected me and I feel that everything that I do and say is being scrutinized, its so hard at the moment.

Any advice appreciated, Natassia

P

Well, I would just say (if prompted) that you were initially liking the idea of a change of scenery (as you put it) and after Birbeck did not choose you, and you still definitely wanting to do the course, you'd be happy to do it in Brighton. I suppose the general advice is to focus and say only good things (how much you are looking forward to the course, how nice it is to be in familar Brighton, etc) rather negative sounding things (shame Birbeck did not work out, rejected, not change of scenery now).. I think key is to be enthusiastic, open and friendly. Good luck.