Reached a low point - any advice?

W

I don't really know if anyone can help me here but I think I just need somewhere to vent. I'm six months into my Masters and have reached that point now where I've finished lectures and am expected to study independently for the remaining time. I received a low mark yesterday for one of my assignments, having received fairly high marks thus far, so to achieve such a different grade was a wake up call. The fact that I worked so hard on the assignment frustrates me even more. I've received feedback off the tutor so I can see where I've gone wrong now.

I've only got six months to go on the Masters but part of me feels that if I'm this stressed with it all now I don't know how I'll cope with the remaining crucial period. The bad mark was exacerbated by being spoken to rudely by a staff member at my uni on the same day. I think more than anything, though, yesterday brought to the forefront how low I've been feeling. The last six months has drained me, as alongside my Masters I have jobs and a lot of commuting to do. I think the stress has just been building up slowly but surely. I know there are many other people in similar circumstances but they seem to be able to deal with the stress much more efficiently than me!

So I suppose what I want to know is what have other people have done when they've gone through times like this. I apologise for the hyperbolic nature of this post but I just feel so frustrated and lost. If anybody has got some words of wisdom they would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Westie

I'm sure others will have some helpful words for you, but I'll jump in right away and encourage you to keep your head up.

By the sounds of it you're actually doing really well on your Masters. It's natural to feel down about a poor result, but everyone gets them. The important thing is that your feedback has cleared up the how and the why. I had a poor result on a module for my Masters and found it really helpful to chat with my tutor about it - he said, quite rightly, that the degree was a learning experience and not to worry over one individual assessment.

I'd also suggest that other folks on your course may not actually be as serene as they appear. If you're feeling stressed, other students will seem calm in contrast, but you can't see inside their heads (unless your Masters is in Psychology, maybe...).

I guess you're gearing up for the dissertation stage of your programme now? That's a very different phase to the taught modules. You've got space to plan and reflect on a longer project. It's an important part of your degree, but, once you get into a good rhythm it can actually be quite a calm and methodical one.

And hey - if you've made it halfway, you're halfway there. That's an achievement already - regardless of one disappointing result.

I hope that helps a bit - sure others will also have advice and encouragement.

Mark

W

Hi Mark, thanks for the words of support! It's given me a different perspective I hadn't considered. I am indeed working towards the dissertation now. Thanks again.