Could I still apply?

V

Hi, I was looking for some advice from postgraduate students. I recently got my honours degree qualification of a 2.2 in Virology (Microbiology) with As for my research project and other coursework but failed a final exam "Core Skills in Microbiology". I know that some universities accept Masters applicants with a lower second class but are the likely to ignore mine because of a fail in a final exam? Thank you.

I

Hi ViroGirl,

I am honestly not sure and others will be better placed to say about the specifics.

However, just wondering if you know why you failed the exam? I don't know your situation obviously but As in most modules and a fail in an exam seems quite a big difference, so if there was a reason (just throwing possibilities out there) such as you were ill during/before the exam or you have dyslexia/another learning difficulty and didn't know it (again, not saying you do as I don't know, just throwing possibilities out there as there are some learning difficulties which can really affect exam technique and writing under pressure but would be less of a problem with a project).

If there are extenuating circumstances then it might be worth mentioning these when you apply, or perhaps making enquiries beforehand to explain the situation? But again others might be better placed to say.

Good luck!

V

Hi, I think in the end it was just purely down to nerves and I spent too much time fretting over doing badly, so my efforts ended up counterproductive! I am really disappointed to have let myself down that much and I was wondering if universities would not consider any postgraduate applications because of bad exam results (despite top dissertation and other pieces!)

J

Hello,

Would it be too late to appeal your grade now? (not sure if you have officially graduated yet!). I was in a very similar position to you a few years ago. I was awarded a 2:2 in Microbiology (had an average 3rd year, but REALLY pulled up my grades in 4th...As and Bs)...I appealed this decision and I was awarded a 2:1 before my graduation ceremony. Look into this if you can...I think it's important to get recognition for all you have achieved.

If your grade doesn't get boosted, there are options. I was always told by professors that I would need a good honours grade AND a masters to get a PhD...but here I am with my appealed 2:1 and in my first year of PhD! Work experience is another amazing way of standing out. I got a research assistant position as soon as I graduated, which gave me plenty to talk about in my PhD interview.

Let me know how you get on.

JD x