I need help please!

T

I'm new to this forum but I've read a lot of helpful advise. Basically I have a massive dilemma that I would really appreciate some feedback on.
I was born in Canada but as both of my parents are British I have a full UK passport. I have lived here for 5 years now and have worked and paid taxes. I am currently finishing my undergrad at Coventry University where I was unfortunately forced to pay International Student fees. I was led to believe however that when I applied for a masters, I would be considered a home student. I have applied to Reading University as a home student, but they still believe I should be counted as an International. Does anyone have any advise/feedback please? I'm at a loss on what I can do as I definitely cannot afford another as an International student!

P

Hey have you checked their guidance on this online? Looks like you need to be resident and not student for 3 years ..when did you finish your undergrad ? It does appear to be just a waiting game , if you can stay to fulfil that criteria then your fees status should change, good luck !

I

Hi, I don't know anything about your situation specifically (I'd have thought being a British citizen - presumably you're dual Canadian/British? - ought to count for something but might be wrong). However, I know someone who is an advisor on this kind of thing at a London university. Obviously that isn't your uni, but wondering if perhaps either Coventry or Reading has someone similar? (She's not a student herself - it's a full-time job for her to advise on immigration/visa/residence issues).

Initially, asking your student union might be an idea - I know mine is supposed to be able to advise on this kind of thing, and if not, to advise who would know.

Good luck!

B

Will I be classed as a home/EU or international student for fees purposes?

The universities or colleges to which you are applying will make this decision individually. If your status is very difficult to resolve, help is available from the UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) website. If you cannot find an answer online, you can telephone +44 (0)207 107 9922, between 13:00 and 16:00, Monday to Friday.

From UCAS website: