Please evaluate my GRE scores for MS at Boston

C

Hello everyone,

I'm currently a master's student applying to do a second MSc in forensic science at BU or GWU. I'm a recipient of the Fullbright scholarship and my grades are decent, the only thing I'm concerned about is my GRE. I got the following scores:
Verbal Reasoning: 157 (73% below)
Quantitative Reasoning: 156 (65% below)
Analytical Writing: 4.5 (78% below)

When I submitted these results to our Fullbright representative at the embassy, he told me that the scores aren't bad, but there's always room for improvement, and so advised me to write a second GRE. However while this is true, I am completely bogged down at work and am struggling to squeeze out the time and energy necessary to go through another GRE.

I would like to ask if my scores would be competitive enough among biological science candidates for those universities? I was using this article by Magoosh as a reference (http://magoosh.com/gre/2013/gre-scores-for-top-universities/) and I don't seem to be far off. But I'd still like to get some further advice from anyone on whether or not I should rewrite. Thanks!!

I

To be honest- no your scores aren't competitive enough especially if you're applying for BU (which I believe is a good university). You'll need to be at least in the top 15% in all three categories in this day and age to have a competitive application, especially in the natural sciences. Just to give you an idea, the top departments generally look for at least a 5 in Analytical, and a score in the top 5% in quantitative (that applies for maths, nat sciences, and economics especially). I'd encourage you to try again, and whilst I understand preparing for the GRE is time-consuming, unfortunately it's a must if you want a strong application.

Since you already have a Master's that may help you if you're applying for a 2nd Masters but if I were an admission candidate, I would still expect higher scores on the GRE. Sorry to sound discouraging but don't be: take the GRE early next year and use the holidays to prepare for it. I'd focus more on quantitative since you're in the natural sciences and try to get a 5 in analytical and you should be set.

I

Quote From incognito:
To be honest- no your scores aren't competitive enough especially if you're applying for BU (which I believe is a good university). You'll need to be at least in the top 15% in all three categories in this day and age to have a competitive application, especially in the natural sciences. Just to give you an idea, the top departments generally look for at least a 5 in Analytical, and a score in the top 5% in quantitative (that applies for maths, nat sciences, and economics especially). I'd encourage you to try again, and whilst I understand preparing for the GRE is time-consuming, unfortunately it's a must if you want a strong application.

Since you already have a Master's that may help you if you're applying for a 2nd Masters but if I were an admission candidate, I would still expect higher scores on the GRE. Sorry to sound discouraging but don't be: take the GRE early next year and use the holidays to prepare for it. I'd focus more on quantitative since you're in the natural sciences and try to get a 5 in analytical and you should be set.

Sorry meant to say if I were an admissions committee member lol.