Graduate Studies In Canada - Pros and Cons Advice for People who are thinking about it

S

Hello all,

I got my BSc in engineering from USA. It is a Top 10 program in USA. When I graduate, economy in the States was really bad ~ 2011 and so was graduate funding. Hence, I hopped on the 1st offer to work on a research I like and went off to Canada to do my masters in Calgary, Alberta.

"THIS ONLY APPLIES FOR ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT"

So without any delay, let's start rip out the bandaid.

1) Depending on your department, TA duties are mandatory and part of your stipend.
2) Stipend here is half of what one typically gets in USA or far lower than in some places in Europe.
3) You have to PAY TUITION! It is not covered by your supervisor or department. In Canada, it is typically, 1/2 of your stipend during your 1st year and then 1/3 after your 1st year.

Now from what I've heard and see, the best bet in Canada is U of Waterloo or McGill U. for engineering. Dont believe otherwise unless you have 1st hand account from someone you know.

4) Supervision from advisor is minimal to non-existent. This is very contrary to USA. I've spent 1 year doing research in a group and published a paper. So I know quite well how USA grad school and professors typically operate. Generally, US Professors MICROMANAGES. It is annoying but it will help a lot especially if you are doing masters and you need to wrap things up in 2 - 2.5 years. Canadian professors approach is typically " Here's the project. Here's your stipend. Get me something at the end". Expect once-a-month meeting instead of weekly or bi-weekly meeting like in the States.

As Alberta was doing great till 2014, funding was abundant. Professors get a lot from NSERC & AITF. They are laid back, thus expecting results probably in a yearly basis.

In the States, money comes from private companies. They expect results in a timely matter.

S

Pros

Due to lack of management and thus comes with a lot of free range of options in dictating your research; anyone who has the motivation and great idea on what they really want to do, you can do amazing things. Probably 1 Journal + 1 conference per year. This is different from the States where professors are the one who dictates nearly everything due to the funding and project objectives, so you are quite limited.

But, if anyone wants to come to Canada to study, always keep in mind about the living expenses. Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto are very expensive. Expect spending nearly $500 CAD per month just on campus food.

I would like to say more positive things about Canadian higher education but there are so few.

Please let me know if you have questions on roughly where and what you want to study IF you are adamant in coming into Canada.

P/S Types of jobs in engineering here are VERY LIMITED. Mechanical Design, Oil & Gas related and Environmental engineering. Despite having USA company branches here which are all in the East Coast and Quebec. They are very limited in openings.

If you want to be in high tech industries, you have a very long shot here.

K

More or less, a very accurate description of a typical Canadian graduate studies system! Well Said.