MRes Help

C

Hi All,

So I am finishing my undergrad in a month, my hope was to do a PhD but after many many applications and some positive outcomes (got placed on a reserve list for a Wellcome Trust program) I have not had success in securing a position. I have however, received an off from a PI in a Russell Group University to do a 1 year research degree (MRes). The lab group is small, high degree of quality publications in very good journals and the project is of interest to me.

The reason I am posting is to hear peoples thoughts on accepting this offer. I do intend to accept it come July but it would put my mind at rest to just accept it now and be done with it. Do you think at this stage of the year I should just accept the offer or hold out for longer?

I appreciate all input and if you've completed an MRes I'd love to hear your experience!

H

Is the MRes funded in any way?

T

Why not do it? It may lead the way into PhD offers and it will give you experience. As long as it's funded of course...

C

I have full financial support for the MRes.

S

Quote From cocathail:
I have full financial support for the MRes.

In that case, I would suggest going for it. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from applying for PhD positions next year, whilst doing the MRes - in fact, I think it would help strengthen your ability to demonstrate you want to pursue research over the longer term.

T

It would be worth bearing in mind that there will still probably be PhDs advertised that you can apply to for an Oct 2015 start though. You could consider accepting this now, and turning it down later on if you do find something advertised. I don't think it really matters though - it's an extra year of funded research, so you may as well do it whilst looking for PhDs to start Oct 2016 IMO.