Where to go from here...

C

The eternal question. I have my bachelors degree in psychology and I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I am considering a masters in counseling, masters of social work, or other related fields. I am currently employed as a milieu therapist at an inpatient facility for bipolar adolescents. I enjoy working direct care with adolescents, children, and young adults but I'm looking for something a little less intense.

Ultimately, I would like to provide 1:1 therapy sessions for the age groups I mentioned. I wouldn't mind offering a broad range of services (i.e.; emphasis on wellness, referral to other facilities as needed, life coaching...). I'm having trouble finding exactly what job title would fit the description I gave. Any suggestions?

G

Hi Cherry

This may be difficult for people here to give advice on because there are so many issues around this. Have you tried talking to practitioners in your area who are doing what you're interested in? Ask them how they got there, what they enjoy/don't enjoy about their roles, and if they have any advice for you.

If you're interested in doing a masters, first of all find out if that is something that is useful/recommended in your field, especially if you prefer the practical, hands on work it may not be the best route to take. If it is something you'd like to pursue, the best thing is to go along to meet with course leaders and talk to them about the makeup of the course and see if it's something that works for you.

Hope that helps
Good luck!