Which program to choose ?

L

Hi everyone,

I want to find a program about international security, which would provide a study of all issues related to the main subject (like terrorism, non-proliferation...), but with a main focus on armed conflicts/war (between States mostly, but also civil wars). I studied public international law and am currently studying the law of armed conflicts, and I would later like to work in an international organization (UN or NATO mostly), Ministries of Foreign Affairs or Defense, or private military company in a department dealing with armed conflicts and international security issues.

I am currently applying to US programs in this regard, which are :

- Georgetown University - School of Foreign Service (M.A. Security Studies Program)
- George Washington University - Elliott School of International Affairs (M.A. Security Policy Studies)
- American University - School of International Service (M.A. International Affairs : Global Governance, Politics, and Security - Concentration in Global Security)
- Columbia - School of International and Public Affairs (Master of International Affairs - Concentration in International Security Policy - Specialization in International Conflict Resolution)

I have always wanted to study in the US, but I found out there are also some programs offered by London's King's College that seem very relevant with respect to my goals :

- M.A. War Studies
- M.A. International Conflict Studies
- M.A. International Peace and Security (but this program seems to have a pretty important focus on law, but as I have been studying it extensively I'd like to focus on a program which deals entirely with international relations/security/strategic/geopolitics courses if possible)

Here is the thing : I am not quite sure that the US programs deal a lot with war. I am afraid they are too centered on general international security issues (such as terrorism etc) rather than "proper" armed conflicts.

Based on your knowledge about these programs/common sense and keeping in mind my career goals/previous studies/what I want to study, what would be your best advice for me ?

Thank you very much !

T

I doubt many people on here can offer you such specific advice regarding these universities and courses.