Which first, job or qualification?

M

I'm disillusioned with my current job (it's not a carer!) and want a change of direction.
3 months ago I did fantastically in a job interview where I was offered the opportunity of doing a PhD whilst working. It wasn't even important that my previous education wasn't directly relevant.
I suddenly realised that this would have been my dream opportunity - even though I hadn't considered it before.
Sadly, the whole thing fell through due to a funding problem.
Now I want to change career and do a Masters, for the sake of long term career prospects.
But with the cost of study, I would really rather find an employer who recognises my skills and hires me whilst I do the course part time.
Is this unreasonable?
My first degree was 20 years ago, so I'm running out of time...

T

You can do a MSc whilst working, if that's what you're asking. It will be difficult, but it can be done. Do you mean you want them to hire you based on the fact that you're doing a MSc though, or support you in some other way whilst doing it? That is probably harder.

Why not just stay in your current job, do an MSc, and then look for a PhD if that's what you want? Bear in mind that either qualification might not help you in a future career.