24/7 Openings--its a good thing

J

Sunday (and general unsocial hours of) working was a good way for me to get away from my family;-)

Why do you think the British cannot drink in a civilised way? I admit I was like that as a teenager, but then everyone else was - parents, grandparents, friends. I thought it was normal to get blathered.

R

======= Date Modified 27 Aug 2008 10:23:21 =======

Quote From thecoastman:

Even if you don't agree with holiday/Sunday opening for religious reasons, I think the 'maintaining the fabric of family life' argument is (or should be) a strong one. Yes, we all hated being dragged around to see obscure uncles on a Sunday when we were 5, but I'm going to make my kids do it too! I had a contract for 5 years that included work on most Sundays, and it would have been nice sometimes not to have to.

And here's another reason for not opening on Sunday. It means that shop workers etc 1. can't go out on a Saturday night for a 'heavy one' (this could quite easily lead into a discussion on binge drinking culture I fear), or b. you get served by an irritated and hungover shop assistant on Sunday morning.

I worked through many a hungover Sunday... and some hungover Saturdays for that matter ;-) As long as you don't actually puke on a customer it usually works out OK :p

M

Aren't we being naive here?? If powerhouse corporations like Tesco and Asda (Walmart) really wanted to open *all* the time, I'm quite sure it wouldn't take too long for their lawyers and powerful lobbying to push through new regulations. It's quite probable that it's not economically sound for them to open on Sunday evenings or Bank Holidays, and there is little public demand for greater opening hours anyway. Even takeaways don't stay open all thru the night due to lack of demand - finding a 24/7 takeaway in London is v. difficult.

My local supermarket was open 24/7 but reduced their hours to 10pm closing times because they don't get enough customers coming through the doors at ungodly hours. I now have the inconvenience of driving up a motorway to find my nearest 24/7 Tesco - now that inconvenience isn't imposed on me by government regulation, but by economic forces.