AAARrrggHhhhh - is competence becoming endangered?

I

I've come to the conclusion that everyone I know and everyone I meet is completely incompetent and incapable. Frankly, I'm disappointed. Actually, I'm frustrated. "We all need somebody to lean on..." but if I (on the odd occasion) lean on anyone they fall over! Newly resurrected resolution: rely on nobody but myself - even if it means developing stomach ulcers and alcoholism :(

Are strong, independent types really all that rare, or do I just need to get out more?

S

It would appear so. The people around the uni are okay, but people outside have definitely been afflicted by the incompetence disease. My useless estate angel, my clueless solicitor, my under-equipped electrician, the parcel delivery company that doesn't turn up, the call centre who refuse to deal with me unless I can recite my account number. I could go on but I'd be accused of becoming a grumpy old man!

I

You've got it!! Same experiences as I'm encountering. Maybe it's a disease? Could any of you clever virus-expert-type people out there devise a test to see whose been infected? Or better still, who has NOT been infected!! Then we can make a safe bubble and hide in it...quarantine...our own colony...

J

I've been paying my TV license by direct debit for at least 10 years, but every single month I get letters threatening arrest for non-payment. I've given up writing to them telling them to check my details; just let them send the police round and I'll show them my bank statement. Haven't they got anything better to do?

K

I lost my account number for one of my savings accounts so went into the branch to find it out so I could pay some money in. Conversation went a bit like this:-
me: Here is my photo ID, could you tell me my account number please?
Cashier: What is your account number?
me: I don't have it, could you tell me?
Cahier: Where is your cashcard/book?
me: the account doesn't have one, hence why I don't know the account number.
Cashier: If you tell me the number I can get you a bank book
me: I don't have the number!
And so it goes on...
AAAGGGGHHHH!

I

Brilliant! Keep 'em coming... PLEASE.

O

seems to be the general problem ... i tried to open a bank acount:
can i see your passport
here you are
this is an ID card
yes
we cannot take ID cards
but i came into the UK with this, i don't have anything else
you need a passprt to open an account
but i don't have one
then you can bring me an old passport and your ID and a bank statement
but i don't have a bank account
then you cannot open a bank account
but then i cannot be paid
we cannot accept ID cards
but it is an official document
yes
so
just bring me an old one..... (this went on for about 30min)

so i cannot get an account
well, if you come back in september you can
??????????????
during the freshers weeks we accept ID cards as so many people only have ID *smile*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGG
and where do i get a bank account from now??? anybody???

H

Hi oz, can you tell us which bank this was?

H

DanB has just given me this link:

http://www.bba.org.uk/pdf/40746.pdf

hope that helps!

H

Just found something else that says Natwest will definately NOT accept your national ID but HSBC will.

O

true, hsbc will accept my id but they won't give me an account because i don't have a credit history in the uk...

the one who does not accept my id was natwest but after a really joyful afternoon i now know that lyods does not accept id cards, moer or less all the others do but you need to have a either a an english driving liscence or counsil tax bill - which of course i don't have; i will be stuck with my building society account forever (no card only money over the counter)- does anyone know why the account from the building society isn't considered as a proper account as my university won't pay the grant in there, i don't build up a credit record, i don't get a card....