Ann - I made your ginger cake!

P

...and it rocked! Thanks for the recipes, Ann and Tricky. I made Ann's cake, but used 4 tsp of ginger like Tricky's recipe says to - I love ginger. We had Swedish friends staying over the weekend and I was pulling it out of the oven as they arrived. By chance, it is similar to a cake Swedish people eat at Christmas, so they loved it!

One problem - it didn't go sticky. By the next day it was dry instead. Sticky sounds good, so what did I do wrong? Did I cook it too long?

D

Umm, I love gingercake. where do I find the recipe?

Anyone want my vegan chocolate cheesecake recipe?

C

I'l like it please, DJWickid it sounds good (I'm not vegan though, just a mere vegetarian...)

Don't know when I'll get around to making though!

P

DJW: the recipes from Ann and Tricky are here: http://www.postgraduateforum.com/showmessage.asp?thread=5414

Not vegan-friendly, but maybe you know how to adapt it?

Ann said it should be sticky and get stickier with time, but mine wasn't and didn't. I hope she can shed some light on where I went wrong. Still delicious recipe though. Good for Christmas.

D

Yes, I reckon ginger cake should be the new christmas cake. I can adapt almost all cake recipes to be vegan - use egg substitute, vegan margarine, and soya milk

D

Btw piglet, I reckon you probably left it in too long for the heat of your oven

P

I will just have to cook another one to find out if you are right then!

I also think I am ready to tackle a vegan cheesecake if you can share the recipe, DJW?

D

Ok, will have to just refresh my memory by consulting my vegan cookery books

P

Golly, forgot a 'please' in that request. Sorry, please?

D

No problem dear Piglet

H

DJ, in your opinion what is the best egg substitute to use?

I quite fancy making Ann's ginger cake for my mum to take home tomorrow but at home we don't use eggs on a Friday.

A

Ohhh marvellous re cake!! Sorry, been away at a conference in Wales. I would think that the reason for the non-stickiness may be:
1) Too long in oven?
2) Not stored in air-tight container?
3) Perhaps need a bit more syrup/treacle?

Hard to say for certain, recipes do need tweaking in response to the variable nature of the ingredients e.g. size of eggs. Best to make it a few more times and experiment a bit. I have to say that my cake rarely gets a chance to get sticky as it's usually scoffed in a day or two!