Any point in applying for RA jobs without a first or a PhD?

G

I have recently completed my MSc in neuroimaging and due to the marvelous student debt racked up by my careers and development loan I thought it would be a good idea to try and work as a research assistant to get my funds in order before going for a PhD. This would allow me to get more experience and pennies.
The problem is every single position I apply for I get turned down. I even applied for a project working with LD and didn't even make it to the interview stage despite having 2 years experience as an LD care assistant.
The feedback I receive always comes back as "more applicants with better skills". It leaves me a bit stumped.

Should I try and get as much volunteering in a lab as possible for more experience (although i have already done that during my time at university), should I just give up and go straight on to a PhD then apply for research assistant posts? Or is it the case that the competition is so tough that a mature student with no major education before university does not stand a chance at getting a position as a research assistant?

Any advice would be much appreciated.