Cold remedies - any advice?

J

I've got a snotty red nose and a cough. Does anyone have a good family remedy?

The Irish way is to stuff a lemon slice with cloves, add it to a hot whisky with sugar and down it all in one. But I can't do that when I'm trying to work. Although it would liven up the day.

P

A day in bed.

Has to be at the beginning of the cold. Has to be a full day, no wagging half a day and doing some work. Full day in bed sleeping, or at least resting/reading. Decadent, but essential. Cuts a good 3 days off a cold in my experience.

D

Echinecea (not sure of spelling) is the old thing that really works. However, you have to dose yourself up with it immediately, as soon as the symptoms of the cold arise. It wont work once the cold is in full flow. If it is, then my only advice is bed, dvds, hot chocolate and warm ginger cake ... umm, sounds rather nice!

H

Ginger tea

J

Thanks guys. Think I'll try all of the above. I might also add ginger and Echinacea to the traditional Irish remedy

Is it the beginning of summer where you are, Piglet?

P

Yes. Hot days, water restrictions, bikinis and bushfires already. I love summer.

A

Kiwi fruits - full of vitamin C. Drink plenty of fluids, take paracetamol to ease the aches and pains (don't bother with expensive paracetamol containing vile gritty drinks, just take the tablets!), don't exercise or exhert yourself too much. Eat well and put vaseline on your nose at night to prevent that horrible redness from constant snuffling. Bit of Olbas oil (or similar) on your pillow at night too will help you sleep if you are feeling congested. Just ensure you don't sprinkle the oil anyway where you might place your eye during the night, owww!!

Get well soon!

J

Oh, I miss summer already, it's nice to know that it exists somewhere...

Thanks everyone. Ann, the vaseline works a treat, also helps the peeling nose that you get afterwards. Much better now, thanks for all your posts.